If you’re a teen suffering from acne, in this post, you will find the best acne treatment for teens including some tips to cure acne in teenage boys and girls.
Remember that time during your puberty when you feel so embarrassed to go outside due to the severe acne on your face? If you do, then there is a great chance that your kids will experience the same dilemma in their teenage years. As a parent with awareness of such possibility, you want to ensure that your kids won’t go through the same. Of course, there is a way to prevent that. You only have to start by teaching them proper skin care early on and explore the available best acne treatments for teens.
Adolescence is a sensitive time in the life of a young adult. The awkwardness and embarrassment that naturally plagues young people can be further intensified by the onset of teen acne. Every individual is unique and so different teenagers have varying degrees of severity with their teen acne.
Those that suffer from extreme forms of acne can very quickly begin to feel desperate. The teenage years are a time of sexual awakening and awareness of the opposite sex. It is a time of life when physical appearance means everything. Acne can definitely put a damper on the social life of any teenager that suffers from it.
- 85% of adolescents suffer from teen acne
- Acne can lead to scarring
- Acne can negatively affect self-esteem
- Acne does not just affect teens physically but also emotionally and psychologically
What Causes Teen Acne?
All acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance. Therefore, to begin to treat your acne, whether it is on your back, body or chest, we have to attack the root cause of the problem. The fact of the matter is that when your hormones are not in balance, your skin is unable to do its job properly. It is also important to keep in mind that imbalances of hormone can happen during the teenage years or during adulthood.
How Can Hormones Affect Acne?
Every pore on your body has a gland that is tasked with pushing dirt, oil, and bacteria to the surface and out of your skin. If your hormones are off-kilter, your glands will produce too much oil. This can lead to blocked pores, which creates a build-up of oil just below the surface of the skin.
This environment is ripe for oil and bacteria to create an infection. Pimples are then formed due to this infection. Whether you suffer from back acne, facial acne or shoulder acne, the very same process as described above is taking place below the skin. And since it is happening below the skin, you can quickly see how scrubbing and picking at your pimples will never make them go away.
Read also :
The Most you can Do as a Parent
Parents play a big role during this stage of their teenagers’ lives. One that can affect their confidence level is the inability to take care of the issue right away. To prevent your kids from suffering severe acne breakout, they should know how to deal with it. This is when proper skin care taught at an early age can be of huge help to them.
Practicing basic skin care, including cleansing and exfoliating, will help reduce that oily shine and fight blackhead formation. It will prevent blemishes and prevent acne from getting worse. This is a major help in preventing scarring. An over-the-counter acne cleanser should also be part of their basic skin care routines.
Keeping the pores clear is also an important part of the skincare routine. If you have a teenage girl, make certain that her cosmetics, sunscreens and lotions are oil-free. As for your teenage guys, advise them to keep their gel or hair product usage to a minimum. Such products tend to be oily which may only lead to irritation. If they cannot avoid these products, just ensure that they get noncomedogenic ones.
Best Acne Treatment for Teenage Guys and Girls
There are all sorts of ways to improve the condition of your skin. Acne products come in a variety of forms including exfoliators, cream washes, topical treatments and medication. A lot of the time it is a personal preference what you choose, but there are some differences too. Here’s a quick summary of your options:
For most people, medication should be the last resort when it comes to curing acne. People with severe acne sometimes can’t fix it with simple face washes and treatments, so they meet with a dermatologist who can prescribe them medication – most commonly RoAccutane. However, the treatments often have quite severe side effects, which for many people are worse than the acne itself. Side effects include nausea, dry skin, tiredness and muscle aches. It also can not be taken if you are pregnant or considering pregnancy. Because of this, it should really only be a last resort.
Topical treatments include products that contain high levels of active ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. They are only intended to be used very occasionally and on small areas of skin. If you have acne covering large parts of the face or back, you should be careful not to overuse these treatments as they can cause severe dryness and inflammation. They are a great choice for getting rid of the occasional pesky pimple though.
And that brings us to face washes – what my site is all about! Face washes have been used by acne sufferers for years as an easy and effective solution to skin concerns. There are literally hundreds of them on the market, many of which are very good – others, not so much.
Unfortunately, what works for your friend might not work for you. You need to find a face wash that suits your skin. If you have oily skin, you’ll want to look for a face wash that is oil-free, while those with dry skin want to avoid sulphur and benzoyl peroxide ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at the types of ingredients in acne face wash products.
Best Acne Treatment for Teens Options
Over-The-Counter Teenage Acne Treatment
Every teenage acne product claims to have the cure for your skin. The truth is that store-bought teen acne products can be extremely harsh on the skin. Furthermore, the changes that seem to take place are superficial. They do not get to the root of the problem so as soon as you stop using them the spots return.
Prescription treatments tend to work better than over-the-counter acne products however they have many potential side-effects that can only be described as negative. They contain ingredients that can damage and irritate the skin, damage the liver, cause nausea, skin burns and cause many other scary side-effects.
Laser acne treatment is a less-common treatment for teenage acne. This is a treatment that works for some but not for others. It is an expensive treatment and many people are not willing to pay out with no guarantee that the treatment will work. Furthermore, some people have complained that laser treatment has burned or scarred their skin.
Many are unaware that there are natural ways to cure teen acne. Yes, natural solutions! A solution that does not involve harsh chemicals but that is gentle on the skin and that truly reaches the heart of your teen acne. Below, I have reviewed the top 3 most popular natural teenage acne treatments on the market.
Top Acne Products for Teens Review
To identify the best teenage acne treatment, we reviewed the top 8 acne products currently on the market. Our tests involved 30 test subjects. Our testers were given two products to test. Results were measured through any reduction in blemishes over a two-month period. Below are the 3 best-performing products of the 8 that we reviewed.
- A complete treatment for facial and body acne.
- A herbal dietary supplement to restore natural balance within the body
In Our Tests: • Clear Pores yielded a 92% reduction in blemishes with mild to moderate body acne sufferers. • It reduced breakouts by 84% with severe cases of body acne. • Many moderate cases of acne were cured completely within a short period of time (Approx. 2 weeks).
In our tests: • Acnezine provided a 75% reduction in blemishes for mild to moderate acne sufferers • It showed a 68% reduction in blemishes for those with severe body acne
- Healthy Pores restores balance and allows your skin to function properly.
- Healthy Pores is a general acne medication. It did not work as well as Clear Pores for body acne however it did yield good results (especially for fairer skin).
In our tests: • Healthy Pores yielded a 73% reduction in blemishes for both mild and moderate body acne sufferers • Severe acne cases saw a 65% reduction in blemishes • It was successful as a body acne cure for many less severe cases
Exploring The Best Teenage Acne Treatments
There is a range of teenage acne treatment options. They are available in two categories: medications that require prescription and over-the-counter products, and herbal or natural remedies.
Teenage Acne Natural Treatments
Plant-based remedies are available for use as an acne medicine for teenage guys and girls. Although studies show that the effectiveness of these remedies is limited, they still help in treating acne in certain ways. There are remedies that act as antiseptics, antioxidants, anti-inflammation and exfoliating agents. Some examples are the following:
- Aloe Vera Gel – has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps heal the skin. An ideal herbal remedy for acute or inflamed acne.
- Licorice Root Extract – acts as an antibacterial, and is especially beneficial in treating a popped pustule or whitehead.
- Lemon Juice Extract – helps in 3 ways: it kills bacteria, removes oil from pores and lightens acne scars and older blemishes.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Water – balances the pH level of the skin and prevents the propagation of acne-causing bacteria.
- Tea Tree Oil Extract – acts as a natural antiseptic and antibiotic. Applying the extract on the skin for 3 times a day reduces the appearance and size of blemishes.
- Honey – It has enzymes that help rejuvenate skin and also work as an antimicrobial agent. Applying a thin layer of honey regularly helps remove grime and dirt from pores that often trigger acne.
Teenage Acne Treatment Products
Over-the-counter medications are only suitable for mild breakouts while prescription medications are for serious acne cases. The latter option is also suitable in case noticeable improvements are not seen even after 10-12 weeks use of OTC medications. Prescription medications are also in two types – the topical and oral medications.
Below are some examples of the most common medications used for teenage acne medication. To guarantee your child’s safety, consult a doctor first before using any of the medications.
Benzoyl Peroxide (Over-the-Counter)
This medication helps kill bacteria that cause acne to get worse. It also helps in healing acne pimples and clearing oil ducts. However, improvements only occur if you apply the lotion or gel with 5 percentage benzoyl peroxide for 4-6 weeks. Let your child use the product once a day for one week. You can then let him use it twice a day. If improvements don’t occur after 6 weeks, you may purchase a product that contains 10% of the ingredient.
Retin-A (OTC & Prescription Medication)
It takes 2-3 months to notice improvements when using this treatment. Only use Retin-A at night because it increases the skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Effectiveness and results also depend on the frequency of use and adherence to the doctor’s instructions. Also, expect that your child’s acne may get worse first before it eventually gets better. That is why constant use of Retin-A is important here.
Accutane (Prescription Medication)
It is a powerful pill suitable for those with severe scarring or those with acne that showed no improvement after using other medications. Just keep in mind, however, that this treatment is not always prescribed by doctors. This is especially the case with pregnant women since the medication may harm the baby’s development. It also has an effect on the blood cell count, which is why patients prescribed with Accutane needs to undergo blood testing frequently.
Antibiotics (Prescription Medication)
Antibiotics are best acne treatment products for teenagers with swollen or red acne, or to those who did not experience improvements in using other medications. It works by killing bacteria that contribute to the increase of whiteheads. For this medication to take effect, your child only needs to follow the doctor’s instructions. Also, they need to take the prescription with lots of water. Applying sunscreen when going outside is recommended as well since there are certain antibiotics that increase the skin’s sensitivity once exposed to the sun.
How to Treat Teenage Acne
No matter what acne remedy your child uses, it can only guarantee success if he or she uses it consistently. Have your child set an alarm so he/she won’t forget when it is time to take or apply the treatment. Or, you can also help by reminding him when it is time to do so.
It is an important key they should practice once the best treatment is found. Not sure if you have?
There is one fundamental factor you can use to find that product. The key is to check the ingredient list in every treatment. You need to look for two things – benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Benzoyl peroxide is a strong ingredient, which works by killing bacteria present in skin pores. These bacteria are the ones that cause the irritation and inflammation. Salicylic acid, on the other hand, helps clear away skin that collected on skin pores and clogged the hair follicles.
So, these are the two options of best teenage acne treatments that work to heal acne issue. However, that’s just one part of the problem you have to deal with concerning your child and his problem. As a parent, it is normal for you to feel afraid when you bring up this issue. However, to help them and prevent the issue from getting worse, you need to take the first step. Don’t wait for your child to ask help from you.
Best Acne Products for Teenage Guys
The most common acne in teenage boys is acne vulgaris. It is maily caused by increase in hormone level stimulating the sebaceous glands. Such a type of acne is usually found on the face, chest, neck, back and the arms. The acne in teenage boys is usually not scarring. The treatment of acne vulgaris comes mainly in the form of pharmacies and supermarkets.
The best acne treatment products for teenage boys comes mainly in the form of :
- Natural products: Natural products like rose water, magnesia milk, tea tree oil, ginger and lemon juice.
- Topical products: Topical products like topical steroids, antibiotics and retinoids or isotretinoin
Also among synthetically made products the best products for acne in teenage boys are :
- Exposed: ‘Exposed’ is good enough for sensitive skin as it is hypoallergenic. It is distributed by Exposed Skin Care Inc. It is a joint production of dermatologists and organic biologists.
- ZenMed Derma Cleanse System: ZenMed Derma Cleanse System improves the skin in three steps as per its designing. In the first step internal toxins are removed using anti-toxin ingredients. The second step follows up with prevention against bacteria buildup thereby reducing inflammation, redness and puffiness. The third steo involves the removal of foriegn debris, bacteria and the particles from the pore and skin surface. It smoothes the skin appreciably and limits further bacteria growth.
- AcneZine System by Revitol: AcneZine is developed by Revitol Corporation. It reduces the number of breakouts, flareups and also free radicals at molecular level by reducing oily skin and attacking bacteria-producing pores.
- Accutane: It is a treatment that is available by prescription. It is very strong medication and is only suitable for those who suffer from severe and persistent acne. This medication is taken internally. There are possible side effects too, including birth defects, dry and cracked lips, and liver dysfunction.
Acne Treatment for Teenage Guys – To Do and Not To Do
The teenage male acne treatment should be effective and stronger in nature to fight severe acne conditions they often suffer from. The pimple problem in teenage boys is more severe than that of teenage girls due to major imbalances of testosterone. As a consequence, you find about 81-95% teenage males fighting stubborn facial and body acne covering back and chest areas. Moreover, teenage guys are reluctant in looking for acne treatment.
What worsens the state of acne affected teen boys is that they do not have the option of wearing makeup for concealing their pimples. They are very conscious that most of the acne treatment products are targeted for girls, which leaves little option for them. On top of that, they find the process of applying natural pimples facials horrifying and get restless soon.
However, if you can motivate teen boys properly to take their acne problem seriously, they could try a basic skin care regimen at home. They could apply cleansers, toners, cleansing masks and moisturizers regularly to get rid of dirt accumulation on skin that worsens acne. Alternately, you could suggest them to use skin-toned medicated spot treatments to dry up the pimples faster and prevent new pimples from occurring.
- Teen boys must understand that the outbreak of pimples is essentially related with excess oil secretion – a feature typical with all adolescents. Hence, it helps to wash your face with luke-warm water and mild cleansers daily. Teen boys should avoid scrubbers directly on their pimples; it could worsen the condition by causing bruises. Instead, a gentle exfoliating agent can be used to keep the facial skin smooth and free from acne.
- Teen boys facing severe onslaughts of acne must avoid using alcohol or alcoholic products as toners. It rips apart the upper layer of the skin, making the oil glands pro active and promoting further pimples. No matter how irritating, teenage boys should refrain from picking or squeezing the acne. This could lead to permanent blemishes on the face. Teenage males should avoid touching and rubbing their face unnecessarily. An unwanted touch could aggravate the bacterial infection causing pimples.
- It is a wrong conception that over-exposure to sun improves teen acne. They must use a non-oily sunscreen product with a SPF 15 against both UVA and UVB rays. Lastly, teenage males must dress carefully to help reduce acne. Hats and headbands are a strict no-no as they can irritate the skin. Wearing shades and light cotton clothes are useful anti-acne habits.
Best Acne Treatment for Teenage Girls
Teenage girls acne is a skin condition that occurs to girls at some stage of their teenage. Different types of bumps like whiteheads, blackheads or cysts develop with the occurrence of acne.
Hormonal changes during the period of puberty affect teen girls with acne. Acne that is common among teenage girls is medically known as acne vulgaris. The skin of the face, neck, shoulders, chest and upper back tends to develop this type of acne.
Considerable Causes Of Teen Acne
Much intake of fatty foods like French fries, pizza, burgher, chocolate, etc. increases the secretion of oil from sebaceous glands. In some cases, stress does not cause acne but aggravates the problem by increasing sebum production.
Best Acne Treatments for Teenage Girl
There are several treatment options for such acne problems. The type of cause and the level of severity determine the mode of treatment. Replace fatty foods with fresh fruits and green vegetables in your diet to nourish the skin with vitamins. Application of herbal lotions or creams rich in vitamins keeps the skin healthy.
Nothing is more effective than home remedies in cases of mild acne. Washing your face two times a day, in the morning and the evening can help by removing accumulation of sebum. Make sure to wash the face after any physical activity. Using mild cleaning soaps or gels to wash your face can help to avoid acne. They do not irritate the skin rather give it a gentle feel.
- If you use a sunscreen or any other makeup lotion, make sure that the application is labeled. The smooth and gentle application does not clog the pores.
- Wash the face properly to remove the layer of makeup from the skin so that the pores cannot be clogged.
- Keep your face covered while using hair gels or sprays to remove contact between the face and the hair.
- During hours of heavy exercise or workout, sebaceous glands produce sebum profusely. Make sure to wash your face and make it oil free after exercising
- You can use creams and lotions containing salicylic acid to deal with acne. Be sure to use them in a limit as they excessively dry out the skin.
- Scrubbing the face with a washcloth while washing it can irritate the skin and worsen the problem.