On this page, we discuss everything you need to know about acne in males. Here you can Learn what causes male acne and how to get rid of it using the Best Acne Treatment for Men including acne cream, serum and other treatment options.
While acne is a skin condition that usually affects teenagers due to shifting hormone levels, many men believe that acne is something that happens to them when they are at puberty stage. However, some people continue to suffer from acne even after their teenage and start looking for the best treatment for adult male acne. Men of all ages may get acne breakouts, although the chances of getting them minimizes as years passes by.
There are several things to remember while you are choosing an acne treatment that is right for you including the fact that acne is different for every man. In other words, there is no right way of treating acne that works for everyone.
For beginners, it is important to first know your skin type: whether it is normal, oily or dry. You also need to know what type of acne you have: Is it Cystic, inflammatory or comedonal acne.
If you are a man who suffers from acne, you do not have to worry for we are here to help. The good news is there are many of treatment alternatives for acne. The treatment for acne can be topical: the use of face washes containing benzoyl peroxide / Salicylic acid in combination with topical retinoids such as adapalene.
If you are an adult woman suffering from acne, we recommend you to check our guide to The Best Treatment for women’s acne.
The Cause of Acne in Men – Why Do Pimples Appear?
Pimples are part of most of us, however few of use get to know the cause of pimples. We only pop one after another and over time they tend to go. However, pimples don’t appear out of nowhere. In this article you’ll learn why pimples appear.
One of the primary factors that affect the appearance of pimples is our diet. Although there isn’t a specific relation between a specific food and the pimples, our type of diet influences how we look. A diet that is composed mainly by fat, will stimulate fat production in our skin. This is like sending an invitation for pimples to come and visit us.
On the other side, if you eat well, with a diet inlcuidng fruits and vegetables, you’ll lower your chances of developing pimples. But are they gone? I don’t think so.
Pimples are produced also because of hormone activity. We all know how wild our hormones are during our teenage years right? That’s why many teens suffer from acne. The increased hormone activity makes us produce more androgens, and this leads to a heavy stimulation of the glands that produce oil in our skin. The amount of stimulation is such that our pores get clogged.
Now, the pore has no air. It accumulates cells and more oil. All this amount of oil and dead cells increases in sizes, pushing itself out of the skin, creating our firend, the pimple. Of course, we men have a higher androgen production, and that explains why men have more pimple problem that ladies.
Next time you find a pimple in your skin, think about this article, think about what you have learned. And if you are well past your teenage years remember to lower your fat ingestion. Not only will it erase those nasty pimples, but will also make you look slimmer and feel better!
Tips to Choose The Best Men’s Acne Treatment
The actual acne treatment you may use is basically determined by the degree of your acne. For mild blemishes, you might only need to maintain a simple skin care regime and use over-the-counter acne creams to improve the appearance of your skin.
For moderate acne, the treatment will need to be a little more intense. Continuation of a basic skin care regime, along with prescription drugs, like tretinoin or tazarotene might be required.
If your skin’s condition gets worse, you may ultimately need to take oral antibiotics, along with having a blue light laser treatment in order to eradicate the problem.
When treating adult acne in men, it is of the utmost importance to keep the follicles open and clean. To accomplish this, cleansers that exfoliate should be the first line of defense.
Ingredients to Look for in Best Men’s Acne Products
When selecting acne products, be sure to see if they contain the following ingredients, in particular, as they are known for their cleansing and exfoliating properties.
- Salicylic acid, which is also known as methyl salicylate. When used everyday, it will help to unclog the pores. It is an antimicrobial, antiseptic, and skin-sloughing ingredient. More and more it is being substituted for the “alpha” in alpha hydroxy products because it is less irritating to the skin.
- Glycolic acid is another ingredient that is used as an exfoliant. However, some people do experience a very mild irritation to the skin. Generally, you will find that your skin will become accustom to this ingredient and any irritation or inflammation will cease to occur.
- Benzoyl peroxide destroys bacteria, which gets into the hair follicles and ultimately can trigger an infection. When it comes to acne, this ingredient is used in acne products because of its drying properties. You will want to keep an eye on things to be sure that it does not over-dry your skin. Once again, over time the skin will get used to the product and any flaking that may have been occuring will usually stop.
- Sulfacetamide is an antibacterial ingredient. Many times it is combined with sulfur, which has antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties. Products containing these ingredients might be beneficial in helping to control acne breakouts.
All of these acne treatments focus on achieving similar results. Some aim to stabilize the oil production of the skin, which may reduce the clogging of the skin’s pores as well as the creation of pimples.
Others assist with exfoliating the skin, which lessens the likelihood of the pores clogging, along with increasing the production of new epidermal cellular growth. Additionally, they aid in fighting off an infection while decreasing the inflammation and irritation of the pores.
The Best Acne Treatment for Men in 2018 – Top 4 Recommended Products
Here are some of the best acne treatments for men that will help you get rid of those acne that gives you discomfort.
Kyoku For Men Lava Masque
The Kyoku Men Lava Mask is an acne mask geared specifically toward men. It works to cleanse and exfoliate the skin, which makes it perfect for reducing acne. It also goes deep into the skin to heal any existing breakouts and to prevent the spreading of bacteria.
It’s made up of a blend of sea minerals and volcanic mud. The combination of these ingredients is meant to remove toxins. When the toxins are removed, acne cannot develop easily. The Japanese herbs work well to improve all types of skin. Some users without acne have tried it and found it to be successful at softening their skin.
When it’s first applied, there is a slight tingling or burning sensation. This is proof that the product is working, but it can be too strong for users with sensitive skin.
This is an affordable mask, especially because only a very small amount needs to be used. It’s best used a couple of times each week. Keep in mind that using it too often can lead to dry or irritated skin.
PROS & CONS
- Made in the USA
- Great for all skin types, even those without acne
- Might be too strong for some users
- Can dry out skin if used too often
TreeActiv Cystic Acne Spot Treatment
The TreeActiv Cystic Acne Spot Treatment is a handcrafted, natural skincare product. Natural skincare products are usually gentler on the skin than other types of masks and treatments. This one is geared toward individuals who battle cystic acne. It can also work for anyone who has severe acne. It’s helpful in reducing the appearance of acne scarring as well.
Its main ingredients include bentonite clay, pink grapefruit essential oil, peppermint and spearmint water, lemon essential oil, witch hazel, and tea tree oil. This powerful combination works to draw out toxins, reduce inflammation, balance oil, kill bacteria, and moisturize the skin.
Most users use this acne treatment product as a spot treatment as needed. It’s best when used overnight, but it can be used for half an hour too. It’s gentle enough for sensitive skin and doesn’t dry it out too badly.
It is a little bit more expensive than other spot treatments, but this is because it’s made of natural ingredients. Additionally, only a small amount needs to be used at a time. One jar should last a while.
PROS & CONS
- Natural ingredients
- Gentle enough for almost all skin types
- Works quickly
- Slightly less affordable than other options
The Vie Naturelle Acne Treatment
The Vie Naturelle Natural Acne Fighting product is a little bit different than the previous options because it is an acne pill. These work by putting additional nutrients into the body, which then benefit the skin. They are effective at fighting current acne, future acne, and acne scarring. Because they are pills instead of a topical treatment, they can help acne all over.
These supplements contain 29 ingredients to fight acne. As mentioned, these are vitamins and minerals that are known to prevent acne. The supplement is 100% natural, so you don’t have to worry about side effects or chemicals. Most users see results within just two weeks, so these work quickly. Total improvement is usually visible within a month or two of consistent use.
This acne treatment is fairly affordable. The bottle includes 90 pills, and one pill should be taken each day. This might seem a little bit expensive, but it’s much more affordable than the prescription medications available.
PROS & CONS
- Natural ingredients
- Gentle enough for almost all skin types
- Works quickly
- Slightly less affordable than other options
#1 Exposed Skin Care – The Most Recommended Product
When you take a look at all the male adult acne treatments out there on the market today, you’ll find that Exposed Skin Care Products definitely end up at #1 on the list, especially when you’re talking about topical treatments for acne today.
This is the only product out there that actually combines together treatments to deal with the main causes of acne today. The products work to help keep pores unclogged, work on eliminating the bacteria that cause acne, regulate the production of sebum, work to get rid of inflammation, calms down the redness, and renews the skin as well.
Those who use this product end up with skin that is smooth, acne free, and very healthy. So far there are thousands of people who have received help from Exposed and the gentleness of the products while being so effective really have made a huge impression.
Why We Love This product
There are several reasons why we love this product.
- The Guarantee
- The Ingredients
- The system
- The results
Lets look at each one of these. First…
- The Guarantee
Exposed Acne treatment gives you a FULL YEAR GUARNATEE. That means you can get your money back up to a year after using it. You have absolutely nothing to lose ‘except your acne’ If this treatment doesn’t work, all you do is send it back and get 100% of your money back. Ask your doctor for the same guarantee! Enough said. Next…
- The Ingredients
If the guarantee doesn’t persuade you or if you are just curious why this acne product works so well then read on…
Active Ingredients – The Acne Fighting Warriors
- Micronized Benzoyl Peroxide Often prescribed by physicians, Benzoyl Peroxide is what kill the acne. Bactria that spread and caused acne. If used by itself it can cause very bad skin drying which clogs pores and acutely can make acne worse. Used in the right combination o f ingredients you get a one-two knock out punch. Thier micronnized Benzoyl Peroxide reduces bacteria count because of its increased ability for deep pore penetration.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids AHA. Helps encourage the dead skin cells to shed. Dry dead skin cells can clog your pores and cause pimples. A.H. A. can help rid the dead cells and normalize the skin cell replacement cycle. As well as being used to even out and smooth your tone. Glycolic and Alpha Hydroxy Acids are most often included in cosmetics to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and skin imperfections.
- Beta Hydroxy Acids Helping A.H.A. out is Beta Hydroxy Acid, this little ingredient is a mild acid which promotes the shedding of your dead skin cells. It can be very effective in opening your clogged pores and can help prevent lesions. A crucial Ingredient in keeping your pores clean and unclogged. Used with exposed other ingredients, you wont fine a better way to keep acne away.
- Green Tea Extract – Micro-Encapsulated Green Tea is a natural ingredient and has been used for centuries for its health benefits for centuries. Exposed uses green tea micro encapsulated topical application for its ability to help regulate the sebum production as well as its great anti-microbial properties which can help prevent new acne. And if all these acne fighting ingredients weren’t enough, how about adding some…
- Anti-Irritation and Skin soothing Actives Most acne medication ignores skin nutrition. Not Exposed! Here is a list of some more of their powerful combination of natural and medical ingredients.
- Allanton Allanton is a very strong botanical extract know for it’s soothing and healing properties. It is a n excellent anti-irritant, aids in the healing of your acne damaged skin and stimulate new tissue growth.
- Alphp Lipoic Acid ALA, keeping your skin healthy and young is the job of ALA. A very good antioxidant helping reduce wrinkles and other age related skin issues. A very good product for your skin.
- Aloe Vera Extract. Aloe Vera extract is a herb that is very good for your skin. Many healing properties in this plant.
- Hyaluronic Acid This is a very powerful ingredient. Is one of natures most powerful humectants – holding moisture with in the collagen and elastin in your skin. You can get immediate smoothness to rough skin with this ingredient. Reducing dryness, burring and itching.
- Licorice Root Extract This old remedy is beneficial for its ability to reduce inflammation (letting the powerful benzyl peroxide to do its job better) scar lighting and reduced redness. Just to name a few of the health benefits…
- The System
- Helps clear existing acne
- Prevents new acne from forming
- Evens skin tone
- Reduces existing acne scar
- The Results
The benefits of this acne product is very clear. They offer a system that treats all aspects of your acne needs, the ingredients are breakthrough and were developed by an amazing team. Add to that their amazing money back guarantee, and this is a product you cannot lose with.
Although it is true that everyone has different acne that reacts differently, if you have not had any luck with any other type of acne treatment, why not give Exposed a try and see if they can make a difference in your life. This treatment has helped many others in the past, so why not give it a chance to help you too.
Type of Product: Topical Lotion, Cleansers, Serum
Price (4 / 5)
If you take a look at its price, you’ll find that it is actually quite reasonable. Considering that you usually get five products in the kit that you purchase, $49.95 is a reasonable price, since it lasts you for a month or more. If you take a look at many other men’s skin care products for acne out there, you’ll find that the price of Exposed is cost effective and lower than many other competitors.
Product Effectiveness (5 / 5)
When it comes to the effectiveness of this product, it definitely gets a five star rating. Users of the product report seeing results quickly as they begin to use Exposed on their skin.
There are a variety of excellent ingredients that can be found in Exposed Skin Care Products. There are scientific ingredients as well as natural ingredients combined together for an excellent treatment product. Some of the scientific ingredients include salicylic acid, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and alpha hydroxyl acids. A few of the natural ingredients include tea tree oil, green tea extracts, aloe vera, olive leaf extract, licorice root, and allantoin.
What’s Included in the Kit
When you order Exposed, you’ll get the kit, which includes the Facial Cleanser, both a Day Serum and a Night Serum to apply to problem areas, the Clearing Tonic, and you also get the Derm-X Cloth for free with the kit, as well as a membership in Exposed’s club.
The main feature of Exposed is the three step system to treating the acne. You first clean the skin, then you work to clear it up, and you treat it as well. The special blend of ingredients in each product helps to make this possible.
Ease of Use (4 / 5)
The reason we give this product four out of five stars is because while it is easy to use, there are several different products that you have to use each day. This is not a one stop treatment for acne, but you will have to actually use all of the products in the kit together in order to see results and this can take a bit of your time.
The Guarantee (5 / 5)
You’ll definitely find that Exposed has the best guarantee out there today, offering a full year guarantee. If you’re not happy with the product within a year, you can send it back and get all of your money back, even if the products have been used already. This is a company that definitely backs it’s products.
In the end, we just have to give Exposed Acne Treatment an overall five star rating, since it tops the acne product market hands down.
How to Get Rid of Men’s Acne
For Men Who Are Using Steroids
If the adult male acne result from performance-enhancing drugs, also known as anabolic steroids, the bad news is clearing the acne will be a major uphill battle. The acne that develops because of steroid usage is extremely resistant to the above acne treatments. However, if steroids are eliminated, over time, the acne generally clears.
For Men Who Have Folliculitis
The best thing a man can do who has folliculitis, which is ingrown hairs resulting from improper shaving, is to switch from a razor to an electric shaver. This will result in less inflammation and irritation around the hair follicle.
In addition, pores need to be unclogged. As mentioned above, products containing glycolic acid and salicylic acid are the best over-the-counter product choices when exfoliation is the goal for men’s acne. If these changes don’t do the trick, then a trip to your dermatologist for a Retin-A Rx might be the next step to get rid of acne on guys.
Facials for Acne
Facials for acne that focus upon deep cleansing and extracting the impactions in the hair follicles are a great augmentation to a regular skin care routine. If you’re interested in learning more about Acne Facials, here’s an entire page that deals with this particular issue.
See The Dermatologists
Fear not, if you’ve exhausted all the various men’s acne treatment options, it is fortunate that dermatologists do have a few tricks up their sleeves to attack the problem of male adult acne.
- Antibiotics might be prescribed and taken orally or contained in a cream that can be applied topically to the skin. The goal of antibiotics is to control the acne-related bacterial infection, which is fueling the breakouts.
- Sulfacetamide, which is antibacterial in nature and sulfur products in higher doses than is available in over-the-counter-products, might be prescribed to help control acne breakouts.
- Anti-Inflammatory medications, known as corticosteroids are another option a dermatologist might consider using when dealing with inflamed cysts or pustules (pimples with pus). This medication is injected directly into a severe cyst or a large, swollen pustule (pimple with pus) in order to bring it under control. This will help the lesion to quickly reduce in size and also make it less likely to scar.
- Retinoids, which are also known as Vitamin A derivatives, such as Tazarotene or Tretinoin. These will not only help to unclog the pores, but also to keep them clear.
- A chemical peel is another option to consider for eliminating acne in men. A chemical solution is applied to the skin, which causes the skin to blister and peel. This process takes several days. It is like having a major exfoliation, which removes entire layers of skin, revealing fresh, new skin. This process results in the appearance of the blemishes and scars being diminished. In addition, a side benefit of an acne chemical peel is that the skin will be smoother and less pigmented.
- Acne laser treatments such as blue light laser treatment or diode laser therapy are options to consider for the resolution of acne when other methods have failed. Most of these therapies will reach into the deep layers of the skin without causing any harm to the surface. They not only eradicate the acne, but also improve the skin’s texture and lessen the appearance of scars.
No matter the kind of acne treatment for men that you use, most likely improvement won’t be noticed for one to two months. This is basically because the majority of drugstore acne treatments for men do not in fact treat the actual blemishes. They are geared toward preventing further outbreaks, therefore it will take this period of time for the acne to heal on their own.
As soon as your skin clears, you will need to continue with your skin care regime to avoid additional acne outbreaks. Cleanse your face two times a day by using a gentle facial cleanser. Moisturizers along with other facial products, such as after-shaves and sunscreens, need to be water-based and oil-free.
For more ways to lessen the severity of an acne breakout and prevent additional lesions from forming, check out these Acne Skin Care Tips.